In order to create a safe environment:
1. Create a “wander loop”: A safe pathway will allow your loved one to roam in the house. [tip courtesy of Cathy Castronova RN]
2. Lock cabinets: Liquor, medications, household chemicals may all appear to be food to your patient.
3. Secure the car: Store keys in a locked container and disable the vehicle, to prevent wandering mishaps.
4. Ditch the electric blankets: As your loved one enters later stages, they can more easily burn.
5. Store throw rugs: Your loved one will start to shuffle and have trouble with balance. Loose carpets are a huge hazard.
About the author